Saturday, January 29, 2011

Day 29


Today I went up to Santa Fe with Kurt and Buckels to see the Jason Robert Brown masterclass. It was an interesting experience. It made me appreciate Kurt a lot more, he really is preparing us for a harsh reality. On the other hand, all of the performers did a wonderful job, but I could tell they were nervous. JRB was funny at times, but I didn't like that he kept dissing on other composers. Word to the wise- if you audition for JRB do not sing a Scott Alan song, he apparently doesn't like him very much. He also doesn't like Stephen Schwartz.

But enough about that. I had my last healthy meal, saw the masterclass, and got home in time to read two chapters of my "Making It in New York City" book. All in all- a decent day.

Daily Practice Session

Today I read Chapters 2 & 3 of An Actors Guide- Making It in New York City by Glenn Alterman. Chapter two was all about the neighborhoods of Manhattan, their histories and theatres in those areas. Chapter three was about finding an apartment. It had useful information about prices, what areas to look in and what you will need to rent an apartment. I was a little nervous after reading this chapter because in order to get an apartment in NYC you have to have a job and a New York bank account already. I'm really glad I read this book before finalizing my moving plans. I need to find a job out there BEFORE I can move! I know that seems like a no brainer to most people, but I was really planning on taking it a tiny bit slower than that.

I do need to reassess my decision. I want to move to New York and try to "make it" as an actor, but I need more training first... and I need a better plan. I might have to hold off on my moving plans for at least a couple months and perhaps move early in 2012. I do have to deal with all of this soon and would rather be prepared than not.

Before I talk about my last healthy meal I just want to ramble for a moment about how incredibly nervous I am for Hairspray auditions. Of course, I still don't know if I will be able to sing by then. But I am already really stressed out over it. First off- the week of auditions is also the week of the Camp Conference that the leadership staff from Camp Shaver goes to every year. Usually we go to one in January but Fred (my boss) and I took winter classes so we decided to go to a different one. The one that we chose is best for everyone because it's during spring break. The first day of the conference is March 15th, but I would need to travel on March 14th, which is the day of Hairspray callbacks. I, of course, do not know if I'm even going to get called back, but I don't want to be out of town that day in case I DO. My boss is not happy that I will miss a whole day of the conference for this. I probably shouldn't wait until after I audition to buy my plane ticket though. The other thing is that I am just getting really nervous, every day I get closer and closer and can't practice. I feel like everyone else has more confidence than me and I'm really scared that I'm going to miss out on the best role that I can imagine for myself at this point in my life. And of course, none of this would be that big of a deal if I even knew whether or not I will able to sing by then.

Now that I've rambled on about that. Here is my 25th healthy meal:

Healthy Eating:

Meal Description- Lunch- smoked mozzarella pasta salad stuff, pecan nut-thin crackers and hummus.

Restaurant or Market- Whole Foods

Rating- *** good, yummy, but nothing special. The best part was sharing it with Buckels!


No comments:

Post a Comment