Saturday, January 22, 2011

Day 22



Today I volunteered for YMCA Camp Shaver for the Health Fair at Expo New Mexico. As some of you may know, Camp Shaver has been my summer home pretty much since I was 10 years old. Even though I only get paid for my work in the summer, I volunteer year round to promote camp, amongst other things. I believe it is so important for kids to have a summer camp experience and it was wonderful to meet all these new potential campers today! I am a little pressed for time this evening since I am volunteering for the Revolutions International Theatre Festival again tonight, so I will post about the Health Fair and the Festival tomorrow.

Daily Practice Session

Today I got to watch part 3 of Broadway: the American Musical! This episode talked mostly about the union of Oscar Hammerstein II and Richard Rogers. I didn't realize until today, that these are the people who made me want to be in musicals! The first musical I ever saw was their version of Cinderella (which was made for TV so they didn't talk about it in the documentary). And later, I saw Oklahoma! with my girl scout troupe. I realized that most of my mom's favorite musicals too! Almost all of the musicals that my mom and I watched together when I was a kid were composed by this pair. The episode also talked about Guys and Dolls, which I was lucky enough to play Adelaide in in high school! I have always wished that my voice was more suited to "legit" musicals, because they are so dear to my heart. Perhaps when I get my voice back I can work on figuring out if I can do both!


No comments:

Post a Comment